Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Newly weds!


This past week my younger brother, Troy, married his high-school sweetheart, Ivy Ikpeme. I was very honored to be his best man and reflected on what Troy, Ivy, and their marriage meant to me in my toast at the reception. It's hard to recognize and give names to the many emotions and feelings I had as Troy and Ivy exchanged rings, and what I wrote falls far short of capturing them all. But I hope by sharing it here, I can offer a sense of how wonderful Troy and Ivy both are and how blessed I feel to have her as my sister:

Hello everyone. I’d like to share a few words about our bride and groom. I’m Derek, and I have the great privilege of being Troy’s oldest, disputably wiser brother and his best man. First I’d like to thank Ivy’s parents, Janet and Etty Ikpeme for making this celebration possible. I know that Troy, my parents and all the Ruths and Woods here share in my gratitude for having such a wonderful venue in which to honor Troy and Ivy and the union of our families.

Someone once said of his brother,”it was nice growing up with someone like you - someone to lean on, someone to count on, someone to tell on!” I think they got the spirit of brotherhood right, but the progression, at least for Troy and me, is a bit out of order. As children, I think the only times I “leaned” on Troy was when we were fighting and I was attempting to smother him into submission - which usually worked with my being bigger and stronger. And the only thing I could count on him to do was dutifully tattle on me whenever I managed to avoid eating my portion of lunchtime omega-3-flax-seed-soy lentil soup - a real favorite among us boys as you can imagine.

However, the passage of time helped me realize that my youthful policy of “might makes right” was hardly the foundation for a lasting relationship ... well, the passage of time and and the fact that Troy is now strong enough to snap me in half like a potato chip.

But in addition to gaining Herculean strength, Troy has developed into a truly remarkable person who has made me push myself when I didn’t think I had more to give, reminded me of the goals I had set when they seemed too far off, and challenged ideas and beliefs that I had never thought to question.

What I’ve realized is that Troy makes you feel like you can do anything. This is, in part because I think that, when you’re with Troy, you’re in the presence of someone who can do anything. Besides talent, he has an infectious and enduring sense of enthusiasm and energy that he brings to every conversation, every project, and every decision he makes.

It’s this joy, optimism, and excitement that I know he feels for Ivy - for her as a person, for her aspirations and dreams, and for the time he spends with her. And I know that Ivy feels the same pure, unbridled joy for Troy. I know this because, besides knowing her, I read her blog which apparently serves the principle purpose of telling the world what it is like to love Troy on an hourly basis. Well, telling the world about cupcakes and what it is like to love Troy on an hourly basis

This love has seen them through six years of dating - four of which were spent apart attending universities in different states. It is this same love that, I have no doubt, will see them through many, many more happy years.

And so, please join me in raising a glass to this love and to the two people who share it: Ivy, a woman whom I am proud to take and care for as my sister, and Troy, a brother one can lean on, a friend one can count on, and a gentleman who makes the world and people around him better for having been in his presence. I pray that your journey together will be long, tender, and filled with good memories.

1 comment:

Ivy said...

aw! derek, how sweet was that post? thank you for being such a great best man for Troy - he loved every second of everything you planned and we are both going to miss you and your little family so much. :(

we're very sad you are leaving tomorrow.
who are we going to randomly go out to eat with? who is going to show us cool new places to dine? who is going to come over and watch bridewars? huh? and whose baby im i going to love on? wah.


idea... DONT GO.